Berlin Charter Township is a charter township in northeastern Monroe County, Michigan along the shoreline of Lake Erie. It is bound to the east by the lake, to the north by the Huron River, to the west by Ash Township, and to the south by Frenchtown Charter Township. The community is a bedroom community for Monroe and Detroit, being connected to these two cities by Interstate 75. The township is located about six miles north-northeast of Monroe and contains the villages of South Rockwood and Estral Beach. The unincorporated community of Newport is also located within the confines of the township. The population was 6,924 during the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Berlin Charter Township has a total area of 37.1 square miles, of which 5.1 square miles is water. The community primarily uses ZIP codes 48166—assigned to Newport— and 48179—assigned to South Rockwood. Extreme northern portions of the township, however, lies within ZIP code 48134—assigned to Flat Rock. The township has the FIPS code 26-07720.
Berlin Charter Township was originally part of Frenchtown Township, but was sectioned off sometime between 1827 and 1867. The township eventually incorporated into a charter township during the twentieth century.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Berlin Charter Township Government from InfoMI
- ↑ USGS GNIS: Berlin Charter Township
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Census map of Monroe County from the United States Census Bureau
- ↑ Google Maps
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "American FactFinder" from the United States Census Bureau
- ↑ Map of 48166 from the United States Census Bureau
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 ZIP code look-up
- ↑ Map of 48179 from the United States Census Bureau
- ↑ Map of 48134 from the United States Census Bureau
- ↑ ZIP code look-up
- ↑ Frenchtown Charter Township website